Hungry for Some Good Food? Don't Know Where to Choose? Then Read my Reviews!!!

HUNGRY FOR SOME GOOD FOOD? DON'T KNOW WHERE TO CHOOSE? THEN READ MY REVIEWS!!

From takeaways to buffets, caveries to diners: no matter what the eatery, I will review it so you can decide the good from the bad on whatever tickles your fancy. All reviews are based on my opinions during my time of visit.

Total Pageviews

Sunday 29 June 2014

Gaucho London Review

Gaucho, Chancery, London

Cuisine - A La Carte Steakhouse & Grill

Price - Medium/Very High - Gaucho possesses some seriously superior food and with all of the beef served being sourced in Argentina the prices are going to be bumped. The cheapest meals on the menu were the salads which were labelled in at £8.75 for the lowest vegetable concoction; at the next end of the scale I witnessed probably the most expensive meal on a menu on my excursions so far worthy of the very high tag. The meal in question was Gaucho's signituare sampler plate hosting a large cut of every steak on offer, weighing in at 1.2kg and then pushing a price of £99; a real treat if you're a rich steak lover. I'd say the average price for a meal in the restaurant was around the £25 mark with all side orders being around £5 and when it came down to drinks the selection is available to suit any bank balance; examples range from beers, wines, spirits and soft drinks.

Service - 10/10 - Absolutely unnassailable from the moment we entered the restaurant. Every single member of staff within the establishment was chirpy and enthusiastic in making the diner's visit second to none; it's as though the customer was rare gem and the staff's job was to cherish them. The steaks were brought out raw on a board prior to ordering, explaining thoroughly about each cut and every question we had was confidently answered with assurance. When it came down to selecting a wine, our waiter was extremely helpful as he offered a sampler taste of our choice bottle and if we didn't like it, he was happy to change it. Not only this but seeing as we were hungry for steak we opted to order some extra medallions to no problem of the chefs or staff and as you'd expect they asked how we liked them cooked. The gentleman who waited our table was professional but comical and no issue we had was too much for him; he brought us everything we needed and kept up his attentativeness without being irritant. Finally our food was served up in a great time which wasn't too fast or too long to wait making it that all more enjoyable, not to mention the waiters even remember who had which steaks and how they were cooked. 

Atmosphere - 10/10 - I think I'll find it hard as a foodie to ever eat at anywhere as relaxed as Gaucho. The modernist music with a slowed beat made for a peaceful yet classy set then the perfect timings of the meal deliveries just helped to let us kick back even more. Even the staff seemed chilled and the non-frantic surroundings made it that bit more special; for a restaurant in London I expected a booming environment but I was so wrong. To me the tables were filled enough to make a steady turnover without the feeling of overcrowded hustle making for again a truly pleasant experience; there is nothing better than being able to sit back and enjoy some fine food without a dim, over busy atmosphere to kill the mood. Finally after every deep breath you got a prominent whiff of a grill working steaks and fresh food being prepared which as a hungry diner, made my mouth water. 

Decor/Theme - 9/10 - To nail the establishment in a phrase I'd have to go with a plush, upmarket eatery with a subtle lick of cattle. My favourite highlights within the place would have to be firstly the clever yet classy use of the cow skin to cover the chairs and stairwell, reasoning for this is because it makes you appreciate the animal and think of the stellar flavours that come from the creature. With this they could have easily made the place look tacky and outdated but the fact that they only use it slightly rightfully claims a vibrant quirkiness. Also the tables are set at a measured distance apart so the feeling of being clustered and uncomfortable isn't there; another key point is the open kitchen boast's confidence in skill and shows cleanliness too. Upstairs has some coushty leather stools to sit on if you fancy a few beverages pre or post meal with a luxurious bar knocking up great drinks at your order. 

Presentation - 8/10 - For the money that's paid this is the only disappointment for me however this being said my steaks still looked very fanciful. The five medallions were placed into a circle like shape on the centre of a large white plate which was appealing but somehow I just feel they should really be doing a little bit more. A touch of garnishing or slight piece of creativity could have really livened the dish up but that being said there was pleanty of room to shuffle the steaks for cutting room. One thing I did love was the fact that the meats were all of a similar medallion size and that they were all defined, clean cuts. 

Food/Value for Money - 9.5/10 -My initial mention has to go out to the complimentary bread board at the start of the meal which eased me up nicely for my main course. On the platter you had a hearty, warm selection of breads ranging from cheese profiteroles, rustic brown bread and finally a sliced potato cake; serving alongside these were small bowls of seasonings and a delectable chilli and garlic oil for dipping. For free the bread board was spot on and flavours were full, stating that this place doesn't do bad food. My main I opted for was a selection of steak medallions being rump, ribeye and fillet, I had to go with an additional two pieces as well because of the reputation my friends gave the food. Butter knife in hand (yes, butter knife) I carved a slice into my first medallion only to see that it had been cooked to absolute perfection as was the same with every other piece which is an amazing skill of the chef to be so careful and clever. After I eased my way through slicing the meat I took a bite and the flavour was outstanding, the steaks were by far the best I've ever eaten; the tenderness of the beef just melted in my mouth giving off an almost decedancy in taste. The edges of the medallions had an exquisite charcoal crust, deepening the flavour even more; at no point did I even think about a condiment or more seasoning as each slice was so full bodied. For £28.50 some people would say that the meats are overpriced and expensive but my goodness if you try them they are certainly able to live up to it, as I said it's by far the best steak I've eaten. At breaks inbetween my steak like heaven I ordered some sweet potato fries to nibble on which were topped with cuts of smokey chorizo; these were, again, fantastic with a plump, flavoursome sweet potato complimented with the smokey, yet slight spice in the sausage. You know it's a phenomenal meal when you carry on eating even though you're body is brimming to edge full; I finished mine then even had room for a piece of friends cut aswell. 

Overall - 9/10 - Gaucho has topped my list of restaurants and is now by a length one of my favourites I have visited. Everything from the unique customer service, to the relaxed atmosphere and most importantly the Argentinian steaks, this place is heaven to a anyone who loves to eat out. The menu may be expensive but for the quality of the food you recive after pushing out the pennies you can't complain; steak can be found at many restaurants but believe me, you'll be hard to find it on this level. For fine dining and celebrating Gaucho is the perfect spot but for a quick bite, off the back of the cuff scenario perhaps you should go elsewhere but it's a must visit in my book. It's a shame I didn't live near by or visit London more often as I'd be booking reservations on the regular and asking for them to have me a custom table in the corner. To sum up this review I'd say if you didn't like steak or any kind of grilled food, go to Gaucho and I'm sure you'd be converted, I'd even go as far as saying it could turn a vegetarian into a fully blown steak muncher. My final note is a thank you to my fellow diner and friend who treated me to this stunning experience and introduced me to quality food. Thanks. 

http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment