Hungry for Some Good Food? Don't Know Where to Choose? Then Read my Reviews!!!

HUNGRY FOR SOME GOOD FOOD? DON'T KNOW WHERE TO CHOOSE? THEN READ MY REVIEWS!!

From takeaways to buffets, caveries to diners: no matter what the eatery, I will review it so you can decide the good from the bad on whatever tickles your fancy. All reviews are based on my opinions during my time of visit.

Total Pageviews

Friday 25 October 2013

Waffle House Norwich Review

Waffle House, St.Giles Street, Norwich

Cuisine - A variety of sweet & savoury topped Waffles (salad options also)

Price Range - Low - Depending on the size of your waffle; for example large or small and the type of topping you fancy will affect the price. Large savoury waffles peak at £10.05 where as large sweet waffles hit £5.65. The small options come in obviously cheaper most expensive items are £9.00 for savoury and £4.50 for sweet, everyday the restaurant posters up specials which may add a few quid extra onto the normal menu prices. Soft drinks are also of an average price with a 330ml coke pricing at £1.85.

Service - 8/10 - Spot on service as we were appointed a table as soon as we entered the restaurant and was offered the choice between which table we preferred to sit at. The waiter remained extremely well mannered and well spoken through out the course of our meal and delivered our menu, drinks and food speedily. I felt comfortable throughout my visit and didn't feel rushed once even though we were in and out within all of fourty minutes. One thing I would have liked is to have been made aware of the daily specials as I was unable to see the board from my seat. Also the bill had to be taken to the bar to pay and for ideal marks I would have liked the staff to take it from me.

Atmosphere - 9/10 - Everything about the atmosphere in the Waffle House was cool, calm and collected. I felt relaxed through out my visit and felt as though I was welcome within the establishment. The atmosphere possessed a really natural feel, as though you were at home dining at the table with a friend with great food being served at your table. You could easily make conversation with your fellow diners without having to raise your voice as the noise levels were minimal. A key aspect I really liked is that they chose not to use background music and relied on natural atmosphere. 

Decor/Theme - 6/10 - The decor and theme within the Waffle House could really use a revamp and a touch of modernization as the wallpaper and pictures on the wall seem quite outdated; not to mention the tables and chairs also had an old feel. Also I feel that diners are far too compact as it's as though they have tried to cram too many tables into a small area. Some of the tables are awkwardly place in corners like the one we sat at; leading to sometimes banging knees with your fellow diner. Finally I feel that they should have more specials boards placed around the area as I couldn't see one from where I was sitting, meaning I had to peer my head round a corner to see one making other customers feel awkward. The only thing I did like was that from some areas you could see the open kitchen where cooks were working hard to press fresh waffles.

Food Presentation - 8/10 - You would have thought with the food on the menu only mainly being waffles that you could only present them in one way struggling to make them look good... However the Waffle House somehow manages to make them look fanciful and delicious. Laid out neatly on a solid black plate, the waffle was half covered with a beautiful scoop of bolognese topped with a healthy serving of shredded parmesan which was very pleasing to the eye. I loved the large black plate for some reason as it had a solid, sturdy feel to it and contrasted to make the waffle pop to your eye. Also how they filled the plate with the waffle and topping rather than leaving a gaping gap round it. The matching salt, sugar and syrup pot also added a nice touch. 

Food/Value For Money - 8.5/10 - A somewhat cheaply priced meal to what I've had elsewhere yet maintained great flavours and a good satisfaction as it filled me up. My meal was a large wholemeal bolognese waffle which was packed with delicious ingredients and was full of the traditional beef bolognese flavours that you recognise, just that it was served upon a waffle rather than spaghetti pasta. You can tell from the first bite that all the food is freshly cooked and also all waffles are cooked to order as you see cooks working hard over traditional waffle irons, not only that I love how they use local produce, farmed in Norfolk as it's states on the menus. The bolognese sauce wasn't too sloppy yet it wasn't too dry and the plump tomatoes in it gave off a nice texture, the waffle was also crisp on the edges but maintained its soft dough being perfectly cooked. For value for money and the flavour you get you can't argue and won't find much better else where. A negative I will state is that my drink was very flat and tasted like it was from a bottle as it had no fizz and was slightly warm.

Overall - 8/10 - The Waffle House is one of Norwich's hidden little gems, suitable for every and any occasion whether it being a celebration or just to pop in for a quiet coffee and waffle. The quality of the food and the cheaply priced menu is hard to come by and not forgetting the welcoming atmosphere. With locally produced, fresh food being served on a daily basis this is somewhere you need to visit. One thing I will say is don't be put off by the fact it's just waffles on the menu as I once before said I wouldn't go there because I didn't really like waffles. The basis of the meal is a waffle yes, but the toppings vary from hot Dutch apple to ham, cheese and mushroom giving a flavour for everyone's taste buds. They offer a wholemeal option or a plain one also. My advice would be don't knock it until you've tried it, you won't be disappointed. 

http://www.wafflehousenorwich.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment