Hungry for Some Good Food? Don't Know Where to Choose? Then Read my Reviews!!!

HUNGRY FOR SOME GOOD FOOD? DON'T KNOW WHERE TO CHOOSE? THEN READ MY REVIEWS!!

From takeaways to buffets, caveries to diners: no matter what the eatery, I will review it so you can decide the good from the bad on whatever tickles your fancy. All reviews are based on my opinions during my time of visit.

Total Pageviews

Friday 2 May 2014

Takeaway Time - Flaming Galah Review

Flaming Galah, Ber Street, Norwich

Cuisine - Pie & Mash

Options - Takeaway or Order for Collection via Social Network or Telephone

Speed - 10/10 - Absolutely nailed all the aspects people look for when going to a takeaway joint, fast food, in your hands within the time it takes to exchange your English pounds with the cashier. My meal was ready within an instant, serving as a real treat for my rumbling stomach. It possibly took me longer to read the menu than it did for the gentleman to take my order and whip up my meal, the cue was non exsistent also. Be warned that not all pies are available upon entry, so to curb that ring in advance and pre-order your pie craving; I was advised that any pie on the menu can be made to order and takes roughly twenty minutes. 

Taste - 9/10 - With my classic pie taste buds tingling all week, I opted for the traditional mince beef and onion pie bonza deal which tops the pastry off with a dollop of mash, scoop of mushy peas and a slosh of gravy. No words can describe how my hunger was suppressed from the first bite with a beautiful fork full of flavour. First of all you get the peas which were flavoursome and didn't come across earthy as sometimes peas can do; the gravy was at a perfect consistency and possesed an ideal temperature that didn't burn the pallet; my mash was some of the best I've tasted with it's beautiful, smooth creaminess and subtle seasoning. One thing I would say is that the whole dish would benefit from a touch more gravy and peas as they were so morish, leaving me scraping for seconds. Moving onto the main event, the pie; the lid was deliciously crisp and made a good crunch when I pierced my fork through it, the taste was buttery, crisp and had the flaky texture a pastry should have. The whole pastry casing was cooked to precision as all of the crust packed full flavour, wasn't soggy and for filled the true heartiness of the dish. Overall the casing was rather deep with the filling bursting through the brim after breaking through; my mince beef and onion filling kept a piping hot heat, warming my stomach and the flavour was meaty, rich and moist to the bite. Overall the meal filled my empty stomach to the brim but left me craving more scrumptious pie.

Price - 9/10 - The menu within Flaming Galah posts up three main options depending on how hungry you are. First up you can opt for any pie on its own which sets the wallet back £3.95; this price is totally fair because the pies are large and the variety of fillings would cost tons more elsewhere, for example, some of the exotic meats. The second choice is for what they call a bonza deal, being any pie, a large ice cream sized scoop of mash, a slathering of peas and finally a ladle of gravy, this setting back the consumer only £4.95; for an extra pound this seems like an ultimate steal and the flavour is certainly worth the upgrade. The final meal option is as above but with a choice of hot or cold drink, only being another pound on top at £5.95. 

Overall - 9/10 - For a long time I've really been looking forward to reviewing Flaming Galah because of it's fame on trip advisor and ever growing custom, and I think it's fair to say I definitely wasn't disappointed. As far as I know this is the only pie and mash outlet within Norwich and I can guarantee it's the only Australian pie and mash shop within east anglia, so straight away it has a great glowing unique persona within the city. Not only this but the establishment often boasts exotic specials on a weekly basis, giving foodies from all round the chance to tease their taste buds with something new, as they have offered up boar, kangaroo and various other combinations all in a pastry pie. With restaurant standard flavours at street food prices, Flaming Galah is an unsung hero for food in Norfolk and it's unlikely they will fail to satisfy customers as it's a cheap, hearty meal. The speed is instant, the price is fair and the taste is divine so make no excuse for not visiting this place, they offer pleanty of variety, from meat lovers to veggies pies and are happy to take pre-orders over social network and telephone. My final point would be to say if you want something other than the classic pies, then you be best to order in advance as they seem to fly off the shelf, don't hesitate to call or contact as the customer service is second to none. Flaming Galah is worthy of its great reputation and trip advisor rank; make no question about it; if you love pie go there, if you don't, this place will turn you into a true pie boy/girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment